Preparation time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 35 minutes
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 orange, juiced and zested
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
For Mojo Picon:
- 1 slice white bread
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp dried chili powder
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp sherry vinegar
- salt to taste
1. Cut the chicken breasts into 3/4″ cubes.
2. In a large bowl combine 3 tablespoons of olive oil, orange juice and zest, lime juice and zest, oregano, cilantro, garlic, salt and pepper. Add chicken cubes and toss to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
3. Meanwhile make the mojo picón. In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Cut the bread into cubes and add to skillet. Fry the bread for 2-3 minutes or until golden. Remove from heat and set aside. Place the olive oil, bread, garlic, chili powder, sweet paprika, cumin and vinegar in a blender and pulse until smooth pasta is formed. Season to taste with salt and set aside.
4. Remove the chicken from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking. Soak the bamboo skewers or rosemary branches in water for 20 minutes. Thread chicken onto skewers.
5. Preheat a grill over medium heat. Lightly oil the grill grates with remaining olive oil and grill chicken in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side. Use the Chef Remi Cooking Thermometer to test doneness. Insert the thermometer sideways and take the chicken off the grill at 165 °F (74°C).
6. Serve with mojo picon and your favorite salad.