Do your kids eat the tiniest amount of salad they can get away with because they claim it’s ’boring’? I know my daughter does!
Did you know that you can add some serious spice, smoke and taste to your lettuce leaves by throwing them on the grill? Make this grilled salad, and watch your kids ask for seconds!
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 4 mins
Total time: 19 mins
- 1 head of romaine lettuce
- 3/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 egg yolk
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 2 anchovy fillets packed in oil
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 2 slices of day-old bread
- 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese
N.B. Use Chef Remi Measuring Cups Set for accurate measuring of ingredients.
How To Make Your Grilled Romaine Caesar Salad:
- Using a sharp chef’s knife and wooden cutting board, remove the root of the romaine lettuce, and then cut into thick chunk. Rinse well and let it dry.
- Cut your bread into cubes using a bread knife.
- Grate your parmesan using the fine grate of a cheese grater.
- Drain the anchovies, and juice half a lemon, and set both aside.
- Toss the lettuce pieces in a large mixing bowl with 1/4 cup of olive oil, and some salt and pepper, to taste.
- In a smaller mixing bowl, make your dressing by mixing together the egg yolk, lemon juice, anchovies, Dijon mustard, and some salt and pepper, to taste, with a small balloon whisk. Stream in the remaining 1/2 cup of olive oil while whisking constantly until it all combines. Set aside.
- Heat up your grill and, once the grates are hot, place a BBQ grill mat on top.
- Add the romaine pieces onto the grill mat, Turn occasionally, using a BBQ spatula, for 3-4 minutes, until you get char marks, and the lettuce pieces begin to soften.
- At the same time, place your bread cubes onto the grill mat and cook till crusty and golden, turning occasionally with BBQ tongs.
- Place the lettuce pieces on a plate, drizzle over your dressing, and top with grilled bread croutons and grated parmesan.
Our Chef Remi Grill Mats can make grilling, whether indoors or out, so much easier. As foods will no longer touch the grates, there’s no more scrubbing food residue off, or losing precious marinade through grates,
And yet, you’ll still get great sear marks!
Add this indispensable grilling tool to your collection today.