Halloween Pumpkin Chutney
So you and the kids have had fun carving out Jack O’ Lanterns (if you haven’t why not?? Read our step by step guide to easy pumpkin carving.
But now you have all this leftover pumpkin flesh that you don’t want to waste, but you’re also not sure what to do with it. Turn it into pumpkin chutney!
Here’s how to preserve the delicious taste of pumpkin, well after Halloween is done and dusted – enjoy it with crackers and cheese!
Preparation time: 15mins
Cooking time: 50mins
Total time: 1 hour 5mins
- 12 cups of pumpkin flesh
- 2 tablespoons of salt
- 3 oranges
- 2 lemons
- 2 cups of light muscovado sugar
- 2 1/2 cups of cider vinegar
How to make your Halloween Pumpkin Chutney
- Chop up any large pieces of pumpkin flesh, using a sharp chef’s knife and wooden cutting board, and place into a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and toss well. Cover the bowl and leave overnight in a cool place.
- Drain any juices from the pumpkin in the bowl, wash in cold water, and then drain again to remove excess moisture.
- Peel, segment and remove the pith from your oranges and lemons, using a precise paring knife.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, place the oranges and lemons, the drained pumpkin, the sugar and the cider vinegar.
- Over a medium heat, bring the mixture to a boil. Then reduce heat to bring down to a simmer. Keep the pan uncovered and simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally with a kitchen spoon.
- Allow the chutney to cool before storing it in sterilised jars and sealing.
3pc kitchen spoon set
Chef Remi recommends:
Our multi-purpose Chef Remi Chef’s Knife will have you slicing and chopping like a pro.
This 8 inch, razor sharp, stainless steel knife, will allow you to make precise cuts, whilst the curved blade gives you a rocking motion for expert dicing, grinding and mincing.
Ergonomic thermoplastic rubber handle reduces aches and numbness, whilst also being moisture-resistant and giving you great grip, even when hands are wet with water, or slippery with food juices.
Add this indispensable kitchen tool to your collection today.