Is there anything more annoying? You’ve just bought the most gorgeous, handmade loaf of bread. The aroma is wafting everywhere around the house.
You get out a knife to slice the loaf……….and it falls apart! Your stunning loaf is now a torn, crumbly mess on your kitchen countertop.
A lot of people don’t realize how invaluable it is to have a specialist bread knife in the kitchen.
A standard flat knife edge squashes the bread down when you attempt to slice it, which is what causes the bread to tear.
A good bread knife will have a serrated edge which can saw through the bread crumb without squashing it, keep the shape of the loaf intact.
Here’s how to slice through even the most delicate of loaves with ease:
1) Give your warm loaf time to coolIf you’ve just bought your loaf from the bakery, and it is still warm, then leave it alone for half an hour.
Warm bread tears much more easily than cool bread as the breadcrumbs are more fragile.
2) Hold the bread knife correctlyWrap your fingers and thumb around the handle. Make sure that the thumb and forefinger are high up on the handle, almost onto the blade itself.
By holding the bread knife like this, you have much more control than if your hand was further down the handle.
3) Place your loaf of bread horizontally on a cutting board in front of youYou should be able to see its full length.
4) Hold the loaf firmly using you non dominant hand to stop it moving about when you cutMake sure you hold the loaf to the far side of the section you want to cut.
5) Position the back edge of the bread knife to where you want to cut and press down slightly, sawing backwardsPull the blade back towards yourself whilst pressing down to saw through the loaf.
6) Push the blade forward back through the loaf until you slice clean throughMake sure you use long sawing cuts using the entire blade. This will minimize the chance of crumbs as shallow cuts rip and tear the bread.
Once you know how fantastic a bread knife is, you’ll never slice a loaf with anything else!
Why not grab yourself the Chef Remi Bread Knife right now?
As a new addition to our product line they're currently on offer at only $10.00! But you can get a further 15% OFF your entire order today! (Limited Offer).