Jack O' Lantern Cheeseburger Pie
We’ve gone into great detail on how to create the perfect Jack O’ Lantern pumpkins, including how to cut your design correctly, what tools you need, and how to do it safely without cutting yourself!
But these ghoulish faces we love are not just for carved out pumpkins. Surprise your family with this ‘evil’ face at your Halloween dinner!
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Total time: 1 hour
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup of ketchup
- A pack of refrigerated piecrusts (2 crusts, 15 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon of mustard
- 3 cups of shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons of water
- Red and yellow liquid food coloring
How to make your Jack O' Lantern Cheeseburger Pie:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Skin the garlic easily by crushing each cloves between a sharp chef’s knife and a wooden cutting board. Then, using the knife, finely mince the garlic.
- Finely chop the onion using your chef’s knife.
- In a large skillet, cook the garlic, onions, ground beef, salt and pepper over a medium to high heat. Stir, using a solid kitchen spoon, until the beef crumbles and is no longer pink.
- Drain off any juices and stir in Worcestershire sauce and ketchup. Set aside to cool.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet. Then, unfold one of the piecrusts and place onto the sheet. Spread the mustard evenly over crust using a small ‘spreader’ spatula.
- Grate the Monterey Jack cheese using the coarse grate of a cheese grater, and add 2 cups to the meat mixture, stirring well. Spoon into the center of the crust, leaving a 2 inch border.
- Unfold the remaining piecrust and cut out a jack-o'-lantern face using a precise paring knife. Reserve the pastry cut outs to use as a ‘stem’.
- Place the crust over the meat mixture, crimp the edges of the crust, and then fold under. Use the leftover pastry cuts out to create a ‘stem’ on top of the jack-o'-lantern face.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg, 2 tablespoons of water, and 1 drop each of the red and yellow food coloring, using a small balloon whisk. Brush the mixture over the crust, saving some for later.
- Bake the pie in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and brush again with the egg mixture. Fill the jack-o'-lantern’s eyes, nose, and mouth with the remaining 1 cup of Monterey Jack cheese. Bake for another 5 to 10 minutes until the pie is golden brown. Your family will be delighted with their Halloween treat!
Chef Remi recommends:
Our multi-purpose Chef Remi Paring Knife will have you slicing and chopping with intricate precision in no time.
This 4 inch, razor sharp, stainless steel knife, will allow you to make exacting cuts that are difficult with larger knives, such as peeling fruit, trimming beans, peeling shrimp, deseeding chilies, or coring strawberries.
Ergonomic thermoplastic rubber handle reduces aches and numbness, whilst also being moisture-resistant and giving you great grip, even when hands are wet with water, or slippery with food juices.
Add this indispensable kitchen tool to your collection today.