Lime & Cilantro Chicken Salad with Avocado & Mango Salsa
Avocado and mango? Yes, that's exactly what I thought when I was introduced to this recipe. It's one of those, 'It shouldn't work, but it does' things. My family love it!
Preparation time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins (plus at least 15 minute marinating time)
Total time: 1 hour 5 mins
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup of freshly lime juice
- 2 teaspoons of honey
- 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 1/4 of teaspoons of salt
- 1/2 cup of fresh cilantro
- 4 boneless chicken thighs
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 large mango
- 1 avocado
- 1 green onion
- 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil
- 5 cups of romaine lettuce leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon of red chili flakes
How To Make Your Lime & Cilantro Chicken Salad with Avocado & Mango Salsa:
- Skin your garlic cloves by crushing them between a chef’s knife blade and a cutting board. Then, squeeze your lime.
- In a small bowl, place the crushed garlic, lime juice, honey, sugar, olive oil, cumin and salt. Snip your cilantro (save a few leaves for garnish) using herbs scissors directly into the bowl. Then whisk your dressing well with a small balloon whisk.
- Place your chicken thighs into a shallow dish, and pour about a third of your lime and cilantro dressing over the chicken. Use kitchen tongs to turn over the thighs so the dressing covers every bit. Set aside for at least 15 minutes to marinate (if you have time, leave for 1-2 hours).
- Place the remaining dressing into the fridge to chill.
- In the meantime, deseed and slice your red pepper using sharp chef’s knife and wooden cutting board. Set aside.
- Now, peel your mango using a swivel peeler, and then dice using a sharp chef’s knife. Set aside.
Halve, pit and slice your avocado with an avocado slicer – much less mess and wasted flesh than using a knife. Then use a precise paring knife to dice the avocado into small pieces. Set aside.
Lastly, use a precise paring knife to thinly slice your green onion.
- Heat a skillet on a medium heat with one teaspoon of the vegetable oil. Once hot, add the chicken fillets in batches and cook until each side is crispy and golden, about 4-5 minutes on each side. Use a cooking thermometer to make sure you have cooked the chicken through to 165°F, the safe cooking temperature, and then allow your chicken to rest.
- Use a paper towel to wipe the skillet clean and add heat the remaining 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil. Once hot, add the diced red pepper and fry till cooked through.
- In a medium bowl, add the diced avocado and mango, and the green onions. Take the dressing out of the fridge and drizzle over 2 tablespoons. Mix well.
- In your salad / presentation bowl, place the romaine leaves, fried peppers, and the avocado & mango salsa. Use your hands to mix well.
- Cut the chicken into strips directly over the bowl using heavy duty kitchen shears (easier than using a knife and cutting board).
- Drizzle over the remaining dressing and toss well. Garnish with the reserved cilantro and red chili flakes.
- Serve your salad with serving tongs.
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Chef’s knife
- Cutting board
- Herb scissors
- Kitchen balloon whisks
- Kitchen tongs
- Peeler set
- Avocado slicer
- Paring knife
- Cooking thermometer
- Kitchen shears
Chef Remi Recommends
Our Chef Remi Avocado Slicer with Knife can make preparing avocados as easy as 123!
This all-in-one tool will safely split an avocado in half, pit an avocado without damaging any flesh, scoop out the flesh AND create even avocado slices, all without wasting any precious fruit.
And yet, it’s safe enough for even the youngest of kids to use!
Add this indispensable kitchen tool to your collection today.