Ravioli is pretty delicious anyway, but add some crab, and you turn a nice dish into something worthy enough for a special occasion – the perfect way to treat your mother on Mother’s Day!
Preparation time: 35 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
1 cup of high quality crab meat
1 cup of ricotta cheese
1 teaspoon of coarse salt
1/8 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
1/8 teaspoon of red-pepper flakes
1 large egg Sprinkle of all-purpose flour
24 ounces of wonton wrappers (about 90 individual wrappers)
2 teaspoons of lemon peel
2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice
4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
2-3 sprigs of fresh parsley or chervil
How to make your Mother’s Day Crab Ravioli With Lemon Butter
1) In a bowl, mix the crab meat, ricotta, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, the freshly ground pepper, and the red-pepper flakes.
2) Crack the egg into a small bowl, beat lightly, and set aside.
3) Sprinkle a baking sheet with the flour and arrange about half of the wanton wrappers on the floured surface. Keep the remaining wrappers under a damp paper towel to stop them from drying out.
4) Place a teaspoon full of the crab meat mixture in to the center of each wanton.
5) Brush the edges of the wanton wrappers with the lightly beaten egg.
6) Top each wrapper with a reserved wrapper (the ones under the damp paper towel) and press the edges to seal.
7) Cut out squares from each wanton using a cookie cutter (or cut into any shape your like!) Transfer to a baking sheet.
8) Finely chop your lemon peel and juice a lemon (you only need to make 2 teaspoons of juice).
9) Boil a large pot of water with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and add half of your ravioli. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until they rise to the top.
10) While the first batch is cooking, in a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter until it is frothy.
11) Use a slotted spoon to transfer the first batch of ravioli into the skillet, and add 2 tablespoons of the cooking liquid.
12) Add a teaspoon of the lemon peel and a teaspoon of the lemon juice to the ravioli and stir. Transfer to a plate and repeat for the second batch of ravioli.
13) Snip some fresh parsley or chervil with kitchen shears directly on top of the ravioli and serve.