Remember when I said that there’s more to salad leaves than romaine? Kale is an awesome alternative that packs in a rather pleasant bitter flavor that goes well with the chives in this lovely salad.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Marinating time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons of salt
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar
- 1 small red beet
- 1 red onion
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/3 cup of mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup of buttermilk
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon of chives
- 12 ounces of curly kale
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of buttery French bread croutons
How To Make Your Pickled Onion Kale Salad with Buttermilk Dressing:
- Place the 1/2 cup of vinegar, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt, the water and sugar into a saucepan, bring to the boil and heat for about 1 minute. Use a small balloon whisk to make sure the sugar and salt dissolve evenly. Take off heat and leave to cool.
- Slice the beet into 4 rounds and thinly slice the onions using a sharp chef’s knife and wooden cutting board.
- Place the beet and onions into a bowl, and pour over the cool vinegar mixture. Allow it to sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Place the olive oil, mayonnaise and buttermilk into another mixing bowl and whisk together using a large balloon whisk.
- Peel the garlic clove by crushing it between a chef’s knife blade and a cutting board. Then, finely mince.
- Add the minced garlic, the remaining 1 tablespoon of vinegar, the pepper, and the remaining 3/4 teaspoon of salt to the bowl with buttermilk mixture.
- Using herbs scissors (link to product when live on Shopify site), snip small pieces of parsley and chives directly on top of the mixture (save some chive pieces and some whole parsley leaves for garnish). Whisk well.
- Remove the stems from your curly kale, tear with your hands into bite size pieces, and place into your salad / presentation bowl.
- Hard boil your eggs in a saucepan, and then peel of the shells. Slice each egg into 8 pieces.
- Drain your beets and onions from the vinegar mixture and place into the salad bowl containing kale, alongside 1/2 cup of the buttermilk dressing, and toss through thoroughly.
- Top your kale with the egg slices, reserved parsley leaves and snipped chives, and the croutons.
- Place the remaining buttermilk dressing into a container and serve for anyone who likes more dressing.
- Serve your salad with serving tongs.
The Chef Remi Kitchen Whisk Set is made from flexible, food-grade silicone.
Not only will it never damage the sides of any bowls, the flex within the wires will also act like a spring when pressed into the side of bowl, flipping out and whisking your mixture a lot faster than your hand needs to move, reducing tension on wrists, arms and shoulders.
Add this indispensable cooking tool to your collection today.