Remember when I said that there’s more to salad leaves than romaine? Kale is an awesome alternative that packs in a rather pleasant bitter flavor that goes well with the chives in this lovely salad.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Marinating time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons of salt
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar
- 1 small red beet
- 1 red onion
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/3 cup of mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup of buttermilk
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon of chives
- 12 ounces of curly kale
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of buttery French bread croutons
How To Make Your Pickled Onion Kale Salad with Buttermilk Dressing:
- Place the 1/2 cup of vinegar, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt, the water and sugar into a saucepan, bring to the boil and heat for about 1 minute. Use a small balloon whisk to make sure the sugar and salt dissolve evenly. Take off heat and leave to cool.
- Slice the beet into 4 rounds and thinly slice the onions using a sharp chef’s knife and wooden cutting board.
- Place the beet and onions into a bowl, and pour over the cool vinegar mixture. Allow it to sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Place the olive oil, mayonnaise and buttermilk into another mixing bowl and whisk together using a large balloon whisk.
- Peel the garlic clove by crushing it between a chef’s knife blade and a cutting board. Then, finely mince.
- Add the minced garlic, the remaining 1 tablespoon of vinegar, the pepper, and the remaining 3/4 teaspoon of salt to the bowl with buttermilk mixture.
- Using herbs scissors, snip small pieces of parsley and chives directly on top of the mixture (save some chive pieces and some whole parsley leaves for garnish). Whisk well.
- Remove the stems from your curly kale, tear with your hands into bite size pieces, and place into your salad / presentation bowl.
- Hard boil your eggs in a saucepan, and then peel of the shells. Slice each egg into 8 pieces.
- Drain your beets and onions from the vinegar mixture and place into the salad bowl containing kale, alongside 1/2 cup of the buttermilk dressing, and toss through thoroughly.
- Top your kale with the egg slices, reserved parsley leaves and snipped chives, and the croutons.
- Place the remaining buttermilk dressing into a container and serve for anyone who likes more dressing.
- Serve your salad with serving tongs.
The Chef Remi Kitchen Whisk Set is made from flexible, food-grade silicone.
Not only will it never damage the sides of any bowls, the flex within the wires will also act like a spring when pressed into the side of bowl, flipping out and whisking your mixture a lot faster than your hand needs to move, reducing tension on wrists, arms and shoulders.
Add this indispensable cooking tool to your collection today.