Spinach & Black-Eyed Peas Salad with Jalapeño Dressing
I love the texture of the salad. You get the chewiness from the black eyed peas, and then the crunch from the red bell peppers.
The dressing is a little unusual in that there’s equal amounts of vinegar and olive oil, but the extra vinegar helps to ‘lift’ the peas.
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooling time: 30 mins (plus at least 4 hours chilling time)
Total time: 4 hours 45 mins
- 2 1/2 cups of chicken stock
- 4 cups of fresh or frozen black-eyed peas
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 2 cups of red cabbage
- 3 scallions
- 1 Jalapeño pepper
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups of baby spinach
How To Make Your Spinach & Black-Eyed Peas Salad with Jalapeño Pepper Dressing:
- In a medium sized saucepan, bring your chicken stock and peas to boil over a medium heat.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to low, and cook until the peas are tender, around 5 minutes.
- Drain your peas and allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, dice your yellow pepper using a sharp chef’s knife and wooden cutting board. Next, cut the cabbage in slices, and slice your scallions.
- Using a precise paring knife, deseed your Jalapeño pepper and mince finely.
- In a small bowl, place the vinegar, oil, Jalapeño pepper, salt and pepper, and whisk well using a small balloon whisk.
- In your salad / presentation bowl, place the peas, cabbage, yellow pepper and scallions. Pour over your Jalapeño pepper dressing and toss together.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours (if you can chill overnight, even better).
- Roughly chop up your spinach. Take your salad out of the fridge and fold the spinach into the salad.
- Serve your salad with serving tongs.
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Chef’s knife
- Paring knife
- Cutting board
- Kitchen balloon whisk set
- Kitchen tongs
Chef Remi Recommends
Our multi-purpose Chef Remi Paring Knife will have you slicing and chopping with intricate precision in no time.
This 4 inch, razor sharp, stainless steel knife, will allow you to make exacting cuts that are difficult with larger knives, such as peeling fruit, trimming beans, peeling shrimp, deseeding chilies, or coring strawberries.
Ergonomic thermoplastic rubber handle reduces aches and numbness, whilst also being moisture-resistant and giving you great grip, even when hands are wet with water, or slippery with food juices.
Add this indispensable kitchen tool to your collection today.