Steak au Poivre with Decadent Cognac Sauce (National Steak Au Poivre Day)
It’s Steak Au Poivre Day on 9th of September, and it’s one of my partner’s favorite dishes.
Classic Steak Au Poivre come with red wine sauce, but the version that most Americans will have at restaurants is with a creamy brandy sauce.
My version here uses Cognac, which is brandy that comes from the Cognac region of France, and is known for being the best brandy in the world. So I’ll be treating my partner to the best on Steak Au Poivre Day!
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 45 mins
Total time: 1 hour
- 8 tenderloin steaks (about 6 to 8 ounces each, 1 1/2 inches thick)
- Salt to taste
- 4 tablespoons of whole peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup of Cognac (plus 1 teaspoon)
- 2 cups of heavy cream
How To Make Your Steak au Poivre with Decadent Cognac Sauce:
- Take the tenderloin steaks out of the refrigerator for 1 hour prior to cooking so they return to room temperature.
- Trim off any excess fat from the steaks. Use our award winning kitchen shears with micro-serrated edges for slip proof cutting. No knife and board necessary!
- Sprinkle all the sides of the steak pieces with salt. Measure out your peppercorns using a measuring spoon, and use a mortar and pestle to crush the peppercorns coarsely. If you don’t have a mortar and pestle, use a mallet and a skillet or pie pan.
- Spread the peppercorns evenly onto a plate. Now press each fillet steak onto the peppercorns, making sure both sides of each steak are coated. Set aside.
- Place a skillet over a medium heat and melt the olive oil and butter. Once they begin to smoke and turn golden, place the steaks into the skillet gently using kitchen tongs (you may need to do them in 2 to 3 batches)
- Cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side for medium to rare steaks, flipping over using heat resistant kitchen tongs. Adjust cooking times if your preference is rare, medium or well done. Once cooked, remove the steaks to a plate, tent with foil and set aside.
- Remove the skillet from heat and pour off the excess fat from the skillet, but do not scrape or wipe the pan clean.
- Measure out your Cognac using measuring cups, and add to the skillet. Carefully ignite it with a firestick, click lighter or long match. Do not ignite any alcohol while the skillet is on heat!
- Gently swirl and shake the skillet to reduce the flames. Once the flames have died, return the skillet to a medium heat.
- Measure out your cream using measuring cups, and add to the skillet.
- Bring the sauce to a boil. Whisk for 5 to 6 minutes until the sauce coats the back of a spoon. Add the teaspoon of Cognac and season with salt to taste.
- Add the steaks you set aside back into the skillet and spoon over the sauce. Serve immediately (with choice of vegetables, if preferred). Magnifique!
The Chef Remi 2pc Kitchen Tong Set is perfect for all your cooking, baking and serving needs, whether indoors or outdoors.
These 9 and 12 inch tongs are made from super strong, thick stainless steel, with heavy-duty EU silicone tips that are heat resistant up to 600 degrees Fahrenheit.
Use them anywhere; on the stove, on a griddle, on the BBQ, these multitasking tongs will last a lifetime and never damage any kitchenware, such as Enamel, Teflon coated, Glass, Pyrex and even nonstick products.
Add these indispensable kitchen tools to your collection today.