June 2 – National Rotisserie Chicken Day
Happy National Rotisserie Chicken Day (no really, it is!)
Rotisserie chicken always evokes the feeling of eating the most succulent of chickens in restaurants. However, getting the same standard at home can seem daunting….especially if you don’t have a rotisserie!
Don’t worry, just follow our easy, ‘rotisserie-not-needed’ rotisserie chicken recipe for ‘fall-off-the-bone’ goodness…
Preparation time: 15 minutes (plus 6 hours refrigeration time)
Cooking time: 5 hours (plus 10 minutes standing time)
Total time: 11 hours and 25 minutes
1 teaspoon of white pepper
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
4 teaspoons of salt
1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons of paprika
1 teaspoon of dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of onion powder
2 whole chickens (each chicken about 4 pounds)
1) Place the white pepper, black pepper, salt, cayenne pepper, paprika, thyme, garlic powder and onion powder into a bowl and mix well.
2) Remove the giblets from the whole chickens, if still intact. Now rinse the chicken cavities and use a paper towel to pat dry.
3) Take liberal amounts of the spice mix you made earlier and rub onto the outside and inside of the whole chickens.
4) Quarter the onions (you should have 8 quarters). Now place 4 quarters into the cavity of each chicken.
5) Place the whole chickens into a re-sealable bag (or double wrap with plastic wrap). Refrigerate for at least 6 hours (or preferably, overnight).
6) Preheat oven to 250°F.
7) Place the whole chickens into a roasting pan. Bake for 5 hours uncovered.
8) Use the Chef Remi Digital Kitchen Food Timer as you’ll be able to hear the loud (but not annoying) buzz sound clear from two rooms away.
9) Insert a meat thermometer into the middle of each chicken and make sure it registers to 180°F.
10) Use the Chef Remi Digital Cooking Thermometer which comes with bright, LCD instant read display that gives you accurate temperature results in seconds.
11) Let the whole chickens stand for 10 minutes before carving.
A must have in every kitchen!
Instantly check the internal temperature of the food you are cooking.
The Chef Remi Digital Cooking Thermometer is voted as number 1 Grill and BBQ thermometer by grilling enthusiasts based on ease of use and available reading options.
The thermometer housing is made of durable anti-microbial plastic to inhibit the growth of odor and stain-causing bacteria. This handy device can read up to 300 degrees Celsius and comes with a manual on optimal cooking temperatures.
Watch the video below showing how to use the Chef Remi Meat thermometer.