Let’s face it, meat tends to steal the show at any BBQ. Whether it’s the visually impressive roast, the handmade patties, or the sizzling ribs…..the humble fruit or vegetable is usually just a sidekick in the proceedings.
The truth, however, is that most people don’t really know what to do with fruit and veg, apart from just place them on the grill. So no wonder they never get to shine!
I’m forever trying to get my 10 year old daughter to eat more fruit & veg, and never more so than at a BBQ.
So, I scoured the internet and found 5 of the most delicious BBQ fruit / vegetable dishes around. Even my picky 10 year old gobbles these dishes up!
1) Sweet n’ Spicy Buttered CornJust a touch of honey and some spices, and your standard corn on the cob goes from ‘typical’ to ‘wow!’
2) Basmati Stuffed Grilled PeppersWhen I made a load of these at the last family BBQ, for the first time, the burgers played second fiddle!
3) Grilled Mint Julep PeachesGrilled peaches are lovely, but standard fare at a BBQ. Try this version with a dash of bourbon…
4) The Ultimate Fruit, Cheese & Nut SaladThe hint is in the name. Make this salad, and even staunch salad haters will start coming round to the idea…………
5) Roasted Brussels Sprouts With Sweet Chili SauceHate Brussel sprouts, or know someone who does? This is the ultimate dish to convert sprout haters into lovers!