ITALIAN CHOPPED SALAD
TASTES JUST LIKE IT CAME FROM A RESTAURANT! OUR LIGHTENED-UP ITALIAN VINAIGRETTE MAKES THIS DELICIOUS SALAD LIGHTER IN FAT AND CALORIES THAN TAKE-OUT.
- Lightened-Up Italian Vinaigrette
- ⅔ cup (150 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sugar
- ½ tsp (2 mL) dried oregano leaves
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) onion powder
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) dried basil
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) olive or canola oil
- ½ cup (125 mL) cherry tomatoes
- ½ seedless cucumber
- ¼ cup (50 mL) cooked and completely cooled ditalini pasta
- ¼ cup (50 mL) avocado, seeded and diced
- 1½ cups (375 mL) romaine lettuce, chopped
- ½ cup (125 mL) diced, cooked chicken
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) crumbled blue cheese
- Optional toppings: crumbled bacon or real bacon bits, sliced green onions
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in the Measure, Mix & Pour®. Mix until blended.
- Place the cherry tomatoes in the Close & Cut and use the Coated Bread Knife to slice them in half.
- Spiralize the cucumber with the fettuccine blade on the Veggie Spiralizer. Place the noodles on a paper towel to pat dry. Reserve ½ cup (125 mL) of the cucumber noodles for the salad; reserve remaining for another use.
- Assemble the salad layers in the Make & Take Mason Jar. Put the cucumber noodles at the bottom, then layer with tomatoes, pasta, avocado, and lettuce. When layering, occasionally tap the jar to settle the layers and allow for more room for filling. Top with chicken and optional ingredients.
- Add 2 tbsp (30 mL) of salad dressing to the lid of the Make & Take Mason Jar; reserve the remaining dressing for another use. When you're ready to serve, add the cheese and dressing to the jar and shake to combine.
- 1 servings
Nutrients per serving:
(1 salad + 2 tbsp/30 mL dressing): Calories 510, Total Fat 24 g, Saturated Fat 6 g, Cholesterol 80 mg, Sodium 380 mg, Carbohydrate 39 g, Fiber 8 g, Protein 36 g
Cooked chicken should be eaten within 3–4 days. If you're storing the salad in the jar for a couple of days, add your chicken the day you plan to eat it.
To minimize browning of the avocado, squeeze a little lemon juice over it before layering. It’s best to eat salads with avocado within 1–2 days.
Instead of ditalini pasta, you can use cooked quinoa or another small shaped pasta.